Wendalicious Podcast Episode 002 – School Lunches and Restaurant Websites

February 25, 2011

Liz Delos, owner of Brayton Graphics

On this episode of the Wendalicious Podcast:

My thoughts on some controversial cost-saving “alternative” school lunch programs; and an interview with Liz Delos, Owner/Design Director of Brayton Graphics in Schenectady, NY.  Liz and I discuss restaurant websites – the good, the bad, and the horrible.  We’ll talk about the most important things that restaurant websites should have, things they shouldn’t have, and certain things that drive customers insane.

Listen to the show:

Links from today’s show after the jump:

Brayton Graphics

Clinton’s Ditch restaurant in Schenectady, NY

Aperitivo Bistro in Schenectady, NY

Van Dyck Restaurant & Lounge in Schenectady, NY

Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution

SmarterLunchrooms

Cornell University’s Food and Brand Lab (Dr. Brian Wansink)

****************************************

Theme Music written and performed by Matt Francisco and Karl Eisenhart; produced by Karl Eisenhart.  More info and tunes at www.PinnacleBand.com

About these ads
  1. February 25, 2011 10:23 am

Nice job with the podcast…

Those free lunch stories are heartbreaking. What’s wrong with those people?

• February 25, 2011 11:46 am

Thanks, Rob.

I was flabbergasted at the level of disdain that those schools are showing toward their less fortunate students. They really are suffering enough, in all aspects of their lives. They should at least have a decent lunch to look forward to during the day. And, I’d be willing to bet that for some of those kids, that’s the only meal they’ll eat all day.

Something is horribly wrong in America: NFL owners are threatening a lockout if they don’t receive another $1 BILLION dollars on top of the billions they already receive, and we spend a $165 million dollars PER DAY fighting in Afghanistan, but our schools don’t have enough money to provide a decent lunch for kids whose families can’t/won’t provide it.

I could go on, but it’s moving into political territory, and I don’t want to make this blog political.

2. February 25, 2011 11:30 am

Thanks so much Wendy – I had a blast during the podcast and giving my 2 cents on restaurant websites “dos and donts”!

3. Cathy permalink
    February 25, 2011 1:08 pm

Yeaaa Bethany!! BTW Liz – Aper-i-tivo. Just say “a pear a tivo”. Take a look at our Facebook page for a cute graphic about the name. :)

• February 25, 2011 4:18 pm

haha – I know, I know!! I’m sorry Cathy – literally 2 seconds after Wendy left, I did a ‘palm to head smack’ and realized I said it wrong! Forgive me :)

• February 25, 2011 4:58 pm

Maybe we should get a recording of you saying it correctly, and post it here!

4. Stacey Nooney permalink
    February 25, 2011 2:28 pm

Thank you for doing that podcast–as a mother of 2 kids in school who gravitate to those pre-packaged flash fried meals, I am glad someone is speaking out about the need to take this problem head on. I loved Jamie Oliver’s show…it should motivate us to provide our children with better choices. We need to contact our government and push for this.

5. February 26, 2011 2:43 pm

After designing for 8 restaurants and food industry establishments in the Capital Region, We have been inspired by the audio clip above to continue the conversation on our blog.

Food Restaurants websites and designing for them.

• February 26, 2011 4:09 pm

Patrick: thanks! I know design is subjective, and everyone’s taste and concepts are different. Thanks for adding to the discussion!

6. March 4, 2011 12:02 pm

I did our restaurant website myself. Nice to know that I avoided all of the mistakes that she mentioned.