Potent Quotables

March 12, 2008

Sweetpea and her friends sprite and randomduck ran this meme over the past couple of days and I LOVE me some movie quotes, so I wanted to try it. Here are the rules:

1. Pick 10 of your favorite movies.
  2. Go to IMDb and find a quote from each movie.
  3. Post them here for everyone to guess.
  4. Strike it out when someone guesses correctly, and put who guessed it and the movie.
  5. Looking them up is cheating, please don’t.

Here are my quotes:

1. I’m poor, black, I might even be ugly, but dear God, I’m here. I’m here.
  2. What are you looking at? You’re laborers; you should be laboring. That’s what you get for not having an education. (Chris got it – my ALL TIME favorite movie – “Real Genius”)
  3. How ’bout a nice greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray? (Sweetpea got it first – it’s “Weird Science”)
  4. You can’t scare her, she’s sleeping with Prince Valium tonight.  (Shannon nabbed this one – “Beetlejuice”)
  5. You know, it says here that by the time the average American is fifty, he has five pounds of undigested red meat in his bowels (Marlene got it – “Beverly Hills Cop”)
  6. OK! I’ll talk! In third grade, I cheated on my history exam. In fourth grade, I stole my uncle Max’s toupee and I glued it on my face when I was Moses in my Hebrew School play. (Shannon wins another – “Goonies”)
  7. It’s Lieutenant Hurwitz. Severe shell-shock. Thinks he’s Ethel Merman. (Chris takes this one – “Airplane!”)
  8. God was singing through this little man to all the world, unstoppable, making my defeat more bitter with every passing bar.
  9. Oh, and remember: next Friday… is Hawaiian shirt day. So, you know, if you want to, go ahead and wear a Hawaiian shirt and jeans. (Sweetpea tentatively guessed it right first, and Chris confirmed it…”Office Space”)
  10. Seven schools in seven states and the only thing different is my locker combination.

Wow! It seems I haven’t seen a decent movie since 1985…

1. March 12, 2008 10:23 pm

Oh, sheesh… I’ve probably heard you say that pork sandwich quote a thousand times. Is it “Weird Science”?

And I think #9 is “Office Space” but I wouldn’t stake my life to it.

2. March 13, 2008 1:36 am

#9 is definitely “Office Space.” #7 is from “Airplane!” And I’m pretty damn sure that #2 is “Real Genius.”

3. Marlene permalink
    March 13, 2008 3:34 pm

#5 is Beverly Hills Cop

I also feel like I should know the pork sandwich one…but I can’t think of it.

4. wendalicious permalink
    March 13, 2008 5:19 pm

Oh, and it’s so nice to see your name on here, Chris! All the way from the Land of the Rising Sun…

5. Shannon permalink
    March 13, 2008 5:37 pm

#4 – Beetlejuice

#6 – The Goonies

#10 – DAMMIT! I know that one…it’s on the tip of my tongue! Arrrrrgggg.

6. wendalicious permalink
    March 13, 2008 7:20 pm

I’m noticing that most of the comedies got recognized right away – but my 2 non-comedies have not.

Here’s a hint: #10 is not only from one of my favorite movies, but also from one of my favorite actors (although I have a hard time looking at him these days, since he reminds me of someone I used to know…)

7. Shannon permalink
    March 16, 2008 5:45 pm

I KNEW IT! I had to cheat and look up #10 because it was driving me insane (before I saw your hint)…I should have gone with my first hunch.

How come no one knows that one? One of my all-time faves.

8. wendalicious permalink
    March 16, 2008 10:02 pm

Alright – here are the remaining answers:

#1 – The Color Purple