Geek Update: Screw you, HP MediaSmart. I’m in love with Windows Media Center now. I can finally record over-the-air TV shows on my computer. Now, if I can only figure out how to link it up with my DirecTV…
Wow, it’s been quite a while since I posted something of substance (I am not counting the Bacon thing). So, what’s been going on??? A lot, and not very much.
- I bought a new laptop. I was jumping for joy when it arrived (on my birthday), but now I’m a little frustrated. It’s working fine, but I can’t seem to get the TV tuner that it came with to work the way I want it to. I wanted to be able to record TV shows, since Bob and I don’t own a DVR or a VCR. I know, I know…cry me a river, you geek. But, see, this was a major selling point for me in buying this particular laptop. I’m kind of annoyed. Does anyone know anything about HP MediaSmart????
- I have a nasty, lingering cold that hit me like a ton of bricks on Monday night. It sucks. So, I’ve been home from work with a lot of time on my hands. I can only spend SO MUCH TIME asleep in my bed (I am as surprised as you are). I thought, hey, why don’t I contact HP tech support to see if they can help me fix my little TV problem. Big mistake. “Paulina” (not her real name) was very nice, but has only a tenuous grasp of the English language. Her native tongue is most likely Hindi or Urdu. We didn’t get very far, even after an hour of online chat. I’m just as frustrated as ever. But now I think I’m getting closer to buying a DVR. And when I say “I am getting closer” I mean that I have almost convinced Bob that HE should buy me one.
- Which brings me to my next frustration: why on God’s green earth am I not able to purchase a stand-alone DVR?? Why must I purchase one through DirecTV?? What a racket. You cannot tell me that you NEED to be connected to a satellite service (or cable service) to be able to record the damn TV shows you want to record. It’s killing me!!! If I can upload my internal body temperature to my Facebook application on my Blackberry, then I should damn well be able to buy a DVR and record whatever I damn well please. Damn!
- In what will seem like a complete non sequitur, my baby sister was recently hired by the police department in out hometown. She’s happy, so I’m happy for her, but I am also worried about her safety. Call me an overprotective big sister, but there you have it.
- I am in desperate need of a vacation. Someplace that does not involve cold weather, family members, young children, or getting up before noon. Someplace outside the US would be preferable, but anyplace that requires a plane trip will suffice. I may stow away in Sarah’s luggage on her trip to Jordan (I’m GREEN with envy).
- Bob’s “busy season” has been going on since October, and I’m about to lose my mind. His business line is ringing constantly, all day long, and frequently after 8:00pm. I know his staff is helping us live a very comfortable life, but I swear I’m going to commit hara-kiri if the goddamn phone rings one more time.
- We bought a new refrigerator. It rocks. French Door refrigerator, freezer on the bottom, ice and water in the door. I am totally in love with a monstrous piece of shiny black metal. Every time I look at it I smile.
- I just realized that I sound like a spoiled brat. It’s not intended. I have a good life – it just happens to be filled with minor annoyances right now.
So, that’s it. We’re all caught up. How’s by you?
if you don’t want one from Time Warner, then go buy a TIVO. You have to subscribe to their service, so I suggest calling Time Warner about the DVR. Even I have one.
about that vacation thing………you have a problem with family members? So, I guess the plane ride to San Fran in May is out?
I don’t have Time Warner – we have satellite. Otherwise, I would totally have the DVR from them – I had it before. And, no, I don’t have a problem with family members – I just need a vacation alone with my husband!! 🙂
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!! We have been having the refrigerator debate for months in our house. I WANT one exactly like you (and Kristin) have. He thinks the price tag is ridiculous. I can’t have one until we actually can afford to redo the kitchen but I have been trying to forewarn him. I read him your blog entry and asked – how can you put a price tag on that kind of happiness??? He still thinks I’m nuts, but at least he knows I have company!
I will post a photo of the “Dream Fridge”. Tell Chris that Bob said to me, “If it makes you happy, it makes me happy. Even though it cost me a fortune.” That was AFTER we bought it. BEFORE we bought it, he remarked, “Holy Sh$%! For that price, the thing better give me a (insert slang term for oral sex)!”
Sorry to go off subject…
Internal Body Temperature a new facebook app? Haven’t seen that one. And just how does your blackberry know what your temp is? remind me never to borrow your phone.
It’s actually a new phone. The BlackBerry Probe.