I’m seriously considering becoming a vegetarian. I’ve been thinking about it a lot, and there is a long list of pro-vegetarian reasons why. There is also a long list of reasons why I probably couldn’t/shouldn’t.
- PRO: A vegetarian diet is healthier than a carnivorous diet. I know this intuitively to be true for me (I’m not making a universal statement here). When I eat meat, I feel sluggish and tired. When I stick to veggies for a day, I feel much lighter and healthier.
- CON: My husband is a dedicated and enthusiastic carnivore. He must have meat and a starch at every meal. My being a vegetarian would make cooking dinner a chore. I’d have to cook 2 different entrees. Bob would never eat a vegetarian meal.
- PRO: Vegetarians tend to be leaner. I could definitely stand to lose a few (ok, more than a few).
- CON: I would probably have to take supplements to make sure i’m getting enough iron and other nutrients.
- PRO: I would be consuming far fewer pesticides, additives, chemicals, and hormones.
- CON: It may not be possible to get a vegetarian meal when we go out, or eat at someone’s else’s house.
- PRO: I would no longer be contributing to the disease known as the US meat industry.
- CON: Cheeseburgers are sooooooo good. The good news: I don’t plan on being vegan, so I would still be able to eat cheese.
- PRO: Sometimes, when Im eating an egg or a chicken breast, I think about where the food comes from, and I gag.
- CON: Fake meat products are usually pretty nasty, and taste nothing like the real thing.
- PRO: I would likely lower my cholesterol, blood sugar, and blood pressure as a result of going veg.
- CON: It just seems like so much extra effort. There, I whined.
Now, looking at my list, the CONS seemed to be getting pretty silly and flimsy. The PROS seem to put forth a very strong argument for me personally.
I really should just take the plunge and go vegetarian. I think I might do it!! Right after I get back from Kentucky on Monday. I don’t think there will be any vegetarian food at my mother-in-law’s house (too many people coming over to make something special for me).
I’d love to hear from anyone who’s made the switch to a vegetarian diet – Was it hard? What did you miss the most? What benefits did you see? Got any good recipes?
Next: I really should try to stop eating high fructose corn syrup. In light of my research into the US food industry, Sisyphus had it easy.