Inspired by the recent “local gifts wish-list” feature that my friends over at All Over Albany are running, I thought it might be fun (and perhaps inspirational to others who may be reading) to share my Christmas Wish List. These gifts aren’t local, but they’re definitely culinary!
I am feeling extremely Scrooge-y and Grinch-y this year, so there’s a reasonably good chance I’m on Santa’s Naughty List, but I’ll lay it out here anyway:
- Dinner at Angelo’s 677 Prime. I’ve never been, and I’ve heard great things. If you’ve been to 677 for dinner, what did you think? I’ll also take suggestions on other great places to get a fancy swanky dinner!
- A proper Chinois strainer. I find myself longing for one of these all the time, especially when I making stock. My old strainer is beginning to fall apart. I know, your heart is just *breaking* for me, isn’t it?
- The Recipe Rock. Just a neat little tool that caught my eye recently.
- New pots & pans. I purchased my current set from The Pampered Chef more than 10 years ago, during my stint as a PC consultant (putting myself through broadcasting school). The set allegedly has a Lifetime Guarantee, but the pans are all warped and the nonstick coating is peeling off in sheets. They were obviously not worth the money I paid for them, even if I did get a discount. Harumph. Anyway, my dream is to own an All-Clad stainless steel set (like this), but short of that I will accept just this. So shiny!
- A Dual-Fuel Range, like this. The best of both worlds: gas stovetop, so when the burner is off, it’s OFF; and electric oven, to maintain temperature more consistently. Plus, this one even has convection, to make cooking even quicker. I know I won’t be finding this beauty under the tree this year, but a girl can dream, can’t she? <sigh>
- OK, not cooking-related, but I want an iPad. There, I said it.
So, that’s what’s on my list. How about yours?
I will take you to Angelo’s 677. It’s fantastic. I will also meet you any time at Bankok Bistro, Van’s, Niole’s Bistro, or New World Bistro. Just sayin’
Ha! New World Bistro is also up there on my to-do list.
I will see what I can do. 🙂
You know how to find my husband…
Have your mother order you the Emeril Stainless steel set from HSN. It is made by All-Clad. It is wonderful cookware. It is as heavy as the full price All Clad set but a 1/3 of the price.
I finally got that All-Clad skillet this year and I love it this much. It’s awkward, but I’ll admit to hugging it right before using it some days.
I have been to 677 exactly once. It was a business lunch meeting and someone else was paying…I have this annoying habit of always trying to order the least expensive thing when someone else pays or I’ll be filled with guilt. So I ordered chicken in a joint known for its steak. It was not good at all. I was incredibly disappointed. I’d like to go back for a proper dinner (and with people I like!) and try cow. I just need to save up first! I like to eat out at nice places, but their prices seem a lot higher than other area fancy pants restaurants.
I know what you mean about hugging the cookware. I own a Le Creuset 6.75 qt oval French oven, and I get a little excited every time I get to pull it down from the high shelf. I rub it a few times like Aladdin’s lamp before heating it up.
Angelo just opened up a new, less expensive, place in Clifton Park – Angelo’s Prime Bar & Grille. My guess is that’s it’s a less fancy – but just as tasty – version of 677. Luckily, I live close by and can likely get there very soon. My friend Daniel over at the FUSSYlittleBLOG just posted a piece about it today…I’m excited!
So, my husband tells me today that he’s hosting a business dinner next Monday night…at 677 Prime. Spouses not invited. He doesn’t read my blog, so he didn’t understand all the cursing.
We will do dinner at Prime sometime. I’ve only been there for lunch (SO tasty!) and would love to go for dinner. You and I will get all schnazzed up and treat ourselves. Name the night!
I’ve never been to 677 Prime and as a former vegetarian but true red meat lover at heart, I really want to go but as much as I love indulging myself, the prices are ff putting.
Also, that is one sexy range. I’m pretty sure I want a Viking or Garland but I would totally settle for one of those in a pinch.