Menu Items that Need to Die, Already
Don’t worry, cupcakes are on my list.
I saw a forum post recently, asking readers to submit their nominations for menu items that need to…well, need to just go away. You know – those items that have outlived their usefulness on American menus. Items that every restaurant fell over themselves trying to create a “signature” version of. Well, my nominations are here.
- Cupcakes. I think I’ve said my piece on this subject. But no one seems to be listening; cupcake shops and cupcake buses just keep popping up everywhere, with no end in sight.
- Mac & Cheese. White Cheddar Mac & Cheese. Four-Cheese Mac & Cheese. Lobster Mac & Cheese. We get it, we get it. Your “spin on a classic comfort food”.
- Grilled/glazed/planked salmon. Enough already. Don’t you know the damage that salmon overfishing is doing to fish populations? Plus, it’s a smelly, fishy fish, and I’m convinced people only like it because they think it makes them seem sophisticated. It doesn’t.
- Surf and Turf. That combo went out of style with 8-tracks and macrame.
- Fried Calamari
- Caprese Salad, anytime other than tomato season. I mean, really. Who wants to eat slabs of cold, flavorless tomatoes?
- Paninis. Everyone makes them, hardly anyone makes them well. These days, anyone with a George Foreman Grill thinks they run a panineria.
- Tiramisu. Now, I love tiramisu. I even have my own award-winning recipe. But, it’s such a stupid-easy recipe that it really doesn’t belong on restaurant menus. Challenge yourself, will ya chefs? Plus, the Olive Garden has it on their menu. And you know that ain’t right.
What menu item would you nominate for this list?