Sugar/Culture Shock: The Candy Counter

May 27, 2013

One of the things that struck me about Northeast Ohio was how similar it is to Upstate NY. Weather, stores, restaurants…many things about my new home are comfortingly familiar. Though, every once in a while something jars me out of my reverie and reminds me that I’m not in Clifton Park anymore. On my last trip to Heinen’s Market, I spied a couple unfamiliar candy package in the checkout display. Ah, candy. The Great Equalizer.

First up: Boyer’s Butterscotch Peanut Butter Cups.

Butterscotch Smoothie Peanut Butter Cups

I was really intrigued by these; I love butterscotch and peanut butter

Butterscotch PB Cup

Verdict: Tasty, but ultimately disappointing. I was expecting a butterscotch bomb, but it smells more like butterscotch than tastes like it. And the peanut butter center just wasn’t peanut butter-y enough for me. Homemade pb cups are still the gold standard, followed by Reese’s in a distant second. Made by Boyer Candies, famous for their Mallo Cups.

Next: Candy Farm 3 Color Coconut Neapolitan Coconut Slice.

Candy Farm 3 Color Coconut Neapolitan Coconut Slice

Again, intrigued. Coconut is one of my favorite flavors

IMG_20130525_162652_941

Verdict: Blech. I actually spit this one out. I bit into the “strawberry” layer first, and was overwhelmed by the chemical and not-at-all-strawberry flavoring. Horrid. The chocolate layer was much the same. The coconut itself was fine and mealy; disgusting. Never again.

I probably shouldn’t be eating candy anyway.

1. May 28, 2013 7:49 am

We have these candies in Upstate NY. I know I’ve eaten them of course it may have been 20 years or more ago. I used to stock the candy section at Carls Drug Store in Amsterdam when I was a teen. (ok 25 years ago). I love those peanut butter cups

• May 28, 2013 3:53 pm

Interesting. I had never seen them before, but I grew up pretty close to NYC so maybe that’s why? They are good, though I think I was expecting more!

2. May 28, 2013 9:51 am

I love love love those coconut bars. I don’t know if I’ve had that brand, but the vending machine at the private pool we used to sneak into had one, I think called Coconut Slice and it was my favorite thing. Maybe it tasted awesome because we were living it up by the pool illegally or maybe it’s because I was a kid and kids are idiots.

• May 28, 2013 3:54 pm

Danger always enhances the flavor of things, right? Plus, kids *are* idiots.

3. Jeanette permalink
    May 28, 2013 7:09 pm

Smoothies are my absolute fav!

4. williepitt permalink
    June 8, 2013 11:20 am

Ahhh, Northeast Ohio! I hereby compare it with the CapDist.

Pros:
    Cleveland Orchestra.
    Heinen’s.

Cons:
    The city of Cleveland.
    No mountains!
    Heinen’s produce.

• June 9, 2013 7:23 pm

Yeah, seriously – I have not been impressed with Heinen’s produce. I love the rest of the store, though.

Since I first arrived here, I have compared it with the Capital District. Similar taxes, somewhat similar weather, similar people…though I do miss seeing mountains, or an otherwise-not-flat landscape.

I promise to see the Orchestra. I promise!

• williepitt permalink
        June 10, 2013 6:45 pm

Oops – another pro: the West Side Market.