I am a big fan of coconut cream pie…but alas it is probably among the worst things you can eat: egg yolks, heavy cream, pastry dough, coconut, whipped cream, etc. I was jonesing HARD for a coconut fix, so I had to try to come up with a healthy alternative to this heavenly dessert. I believe I have achieved lift-off! Here goes:
- Make a package of sugar-free, fat-free vanilla instant pudding, with skim milk, according to package directions
- Add 1/2 tsp of coconut extract
- Let it sit for a few minutes in the fridge, til it thickens a bit
- Stir in 1/4 cup coconut flakes (toasted if you want) and 1 cup of Cool Whip Lite
- Divide in to 4 small bowls. Let sit in fridge overnight, if you can wait that long
That’s it!! You can add a little whipped cream or Cool Whip on top. If you’re feeling especially frisky, you can add some crushed vanilla wafers or vanilla snaps on top, for a bit of “crust”.
And, I have to offer this brief product review of another coconut-filled delight: Kashi Dark Chocolate Coconut Bars have absolutely blown my mind! They have so much gooey dark chocolate on top of them that you’ll be amazed. At 120 calories, these bars are da bomb, my friends. Get some.