Support Gay Marriage? Eat Some Ice Cream!

September 1, 2009

Ben & Jerry’s, everyone’s favorite ice cream company (well, mine anyway), has temporarily renamed its popular flavor “Chubby Hubby” in honor of gay marriage, which was just legalized in Vermont.  The new name?  “Hubby Hubby”.   From the press release:

Ben & Jerry’s, known for its euphoric ice cream flavors and dedication to social justice, celebrates the beginning of the freedom to marry for gay and lesbian couples in Vermont with the symbolic renaming of its well-known ice cream flavor “Chubby Hubby” to “Hubby Hubby.” In partnership with Freedom to Marry, Ben & Jerry’s aims to raise awareness of the importance of marriage equality and, to show its support, will serve “Hubby Hubby” sundaes in Vermont Scoop Shops throughout the month of September.

Check out the new label, which features two men in tuxedos on top of a wedding cake:

HubbyHubby_2D_a1I love it.  But, what I don’t love is the fact that B&J discontinued the all-time greatest ice cream flavor: Coconut Almond Fudge Chip.  Occasionally, rarely even, you may be able to find the flavor in a scoop shop, but since we don’t have one near me anymore (Schenectady’s closed years ago and the Albany & Saratoga ones are too far away), I am mostly SOL.

1. Brian permalink
    September 2, 2009 2:38 pm

I guess I won’t be buying any Ben & Jerrys.

2. wendalicious permalink
    September 2, 2009 6:37 pm

Forever, or just for September?

3. obliterati permalink
    September 8, 2009 2:19 pm

Wow Brian, I get it completely, no sense buying ice cream that lets everyone know that you are gay after all that work trying to cover up.

4. Brian permalink
    September 8, 2009 3:16 pm

obliterati – that is what it is. I will contemplate that tomorrow when I am celebrating my 15th wedding anniversary.

I knew Ben & Jerry were libs so I avoided their stuff anyway but this in your face stuff is over the line. God created Adam and Eve not Adam & Steve.

5. Witchwriter permalink
    September 8, 2009 8:35 pm

It’s frickin ice cream… one and two if God did create anyone he created both Adam and Eve and Adam and Steve and Eve and Eva for that matter as far as I’m concerned… and just because you can get married doesn’t mean you can throw your religious views at people… Go Hubby Hubby

6. Brian permalink
    September 8, 2009 10:04 pm

Witchwriter, Actually you are wrong on both fronts. Not only does my religious views teach me to spread the good news the Constitution gives me the freedom of both religion and speech all in the same run-on sentence.

You may disagree with my views but it is my right and obligation to proselytize my beliefs. Just as you are free to buy this lame product and spew your misguided views. God bless America!

7. obliterati permalink
    September 9, 2009 4:30 pm

What a sickly sweet thread. Good news, the constitution, God, America… and ice cream… Gay ice cream. Have a great anniversary Brian and let’s all hope that in the near future Adam and Steve will be able to celebrate their anniversaries in more than just a few states.

8. Ford permalink
    September 9, 2009 4:33 pm

Wow Brian,
    Perhaps ice cream would be less threatning to your so not gay-ness if it was topped with “Jesus Pieces.”

9. Martin permalink
    September 17, 2009 3:00 pm

Yum! That sounds really good. Is there still a B&J’s on Lark street?

• wendalicious permalink
      September 17, 2009 6:48 pm

Yes – that one and the one in Saratoga are the only ones left around here.