Somethings New and Somethings Stupid

October 18, 2010

Another random list, which I know some folks enjoy.

I was listening to an episode of KCRW’s Good Food this morning on my ride into work, and heard a segment about a food competition.  The details of segment itself are not relevant, but the chefs involved were creating some dishes that I was familiar with, yet had never attempted in my own kitchen.  Which then made me ask myself,

Why have you never tried making these things, woman?

I began to think about all of the techniques and classic recipes that I have never attempted – not because I don’t have the mad skillz (’cause I DO), but because I just never got around to them.  Or maybe they just seem too complicated.  Or perhaps they simply sound too ridiculous.

So, here’s my list, in no order of importance, of the techniques/recipes that I wish to learn:

Recipes/Foods:

• Clafouti
  • Soufflé
  • Crown Roast of Pork (Complete with paper panties.  On the roast.)
  • Confit (not duck, though.  I don’t like duck.)
  • Vichyssoise
  • Meringue (Seriously.  I have never made a meringue.)
  • Paella

Techniques:

On the flipside, here are a few things that I can practically guarantee that I will never attempt or experience – because I think they are ridiculous and/or disgusting:

• Sous-vide
  • Molecular Gastronomy (in the style of Ferran Adrià).  Give me a break with this nonsense.  And I’m speaking as a chemist.
  • The brains of any animal
  • Cooking a lobster
  • Frogs, eels, snakes, worms, or bugs.  Never.

I”d love to hear your experiences with any items on my lists, or about things you’d like to try, or not try.

Never, never, never, never, never.

1. Joanne permalink
    October 18, 2010 8:11 pm

The picture is just disturbing. And I don’t want to try any of the things you list, because I can’t cook! 😀

2. October 19, 2010 8:31 am

Canning was a lot easier than I thought it would be. Give it a shot! And I find it hard to believe you’ve never made meringue .

• October 19, 2010 12:43 pm

I have never knowingly made a meringue. My memories of the early 90’s are a bit foggy, so I suppose it’s possible I made a meringue during that time without retaining the memory of doing so.

And, how did you learn how to can?

3. October 19, 2010 2:41 pm

I might have had something to say, but that picture drove it right out of my head. Good lord, woman… whatever would have made you think that was a good idea?

4. Marlene permalink
    October 20, 2010 6:29 am

Read a book to learn how to can. That’s what we did. “Ball’s Big Book of Canning” (I think that’s the name) works well. Or just look it up on the internet.

I made a ham and cheese souffle once. I have to say it was a aweful lot of work for what tasted like a ham and cheese omlet. The fancy dessert souffles might be different, but I’s say it was not worth the effort.

• October 22, 2010 10:33 am

I’m going to buy that book!! What kind of stuff did you can?

And, I forgot one more technique: flambe!

5. richard lovrich permalink
    October 23, 2010 1:15 am

I have eaten some strange things and not all of them are distasteful. Fear of trying them is admittedly a reality and sometimes quite justified. Tripe for instance. Not bad exactly, just boring and upon reflection… WHY? Molecular, why not? This is not a meal per-se but food as an event, an experience, a trip. I have eaten poison blow fish in Japan a number of times.. made my extremities numb. Food and drug together! what’s not to like?

• October 26, 2010 7:17 pm

My reply to this is going to get its own post. For all my bluster, I am a fearful foodie.

6. robbin818 permalink
    October 24, 2010 9:29 am

Canning is VERY easy! It’s also satisfying on a very basic level – sort of pioneer-woman-feeding-the -family-through-the-long-cold-winter satisfying. I can everything from jellies to relishes to tomato juice and sauce. I don’t have a pressure canner – though I’d dearly love one, so I have to stick to high acid things, but it’s wonderful. The Ball Blue Book is wonderful as is Farm to Table. I think if you try, you’ll love it.

Trackbacks